Friday, July 6, 2012

T-Cell Chimeric Antigen Receptor pilot trial at Penn

Saw Dr Porter at Penn today, for a second opinion for the first time, thinking I may be interested in the chimeric antigen receptor in vitrio genetically modifying T-lymphocyte pilot trial (I know that is a mouthful, see here for explanation). I have been needing both platelet and RBC transfusions almost every 2 weeks since I finished my 6 cycles of bendamustine-rituximab at the end of March. My last WBC count showed a rising lymphocyte count and I have noticed that some of my lymph nodes have started to increase in size a bit. Dr Porter felt, as does my regular oncologist at Hahnemann/Drexel, that I need to have my bone marrow checked again as well as repeat CT scans, to better determine if my low counts are due only to the leukemia coming back or perhaps in part also bone marrow failure as a treatment-related adverse event, maybe even myelodysplasia.... He suggested that the next treatment could be ofatumumab (a monolclonal antibody supposedly more effective than rituximab) or either rituximab or alemtuzumab (Campath) with high dose methylprednisolone, stating that Campath is not so effective by itself. The response to this therapy would help to determine whether my marrow is showing just leukema or some underlying dysplasia. Stem cell transplant may be an option if it looks like my marrow is not performing well, but it would have to be from an unrelated donor (see prior post - unless I can get my brother to help me out), but If my marrow seems to be OK than an option would be this T cell tiral or perhaps one of the small molecule tryosine kinase inhbitors under development. Time will tell, but not having a good response to B-R after 3 prior treatments with fludarabine shows my disease is advancing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment